Monday, September 28, 2009

Fearz, I haz dem

So let’s discuss the irrational fears that come with parenthood. Actually, let me backtrack a bit and talk about the crazy love that I have for my son. Just be patient, because this is directly related to the irrational fears.

Now, when you’re pregnant one thing you’ll constantly hear is something along the lines of, “Oh, just wait until you hold your child for the first time. The love you feel for him will be like nothing you’ve ever known.” Let me tell you, I felt a lot of stuff the day I gave birth to my son. But love was not one of those feelings. I had a lot of guilt about that in the beginning—something had to be wrong with me that I wasn’t in love with my son the day I met him, right?

Fast-forward a year and some odd months and here I am—older and wiser. There are women who fall in love with their babies immediately. ::Throws confetti:: Yay for them! Then there are women like me, who are so consumed by the magnitude and gravity of the situation that they can’t quite make enough room in their spinning heads for love just yet.

I had just birthed a human. Out of my vagina. If you haven’t done it yet, let me tell you that it HURTS. Like no other pain I’ve ever experienced in my whole damn life. And it doesn’t just hurt when the baby is crowning and making his appearance into the world. It hurts for DAYS ON END. And really, since we’re being so honest with each other, let me add that I’m just starting to come to terms with the fact that things will never be quite the same down there.

Anyway, where was I… oh yes, okay. So here we are almost 15 months after B was born and I can tell you without any hesitation that I love my son to bits and pieces. So much so that it hurts sometimes. And I can’t imagine a life without him in it. I don’t want to imagine a life without him in it. And there’s my problem. I get anxiety when I think about all the “what if’s.”

B is a boy and boys get into situations where they cause themselves bodily harm. It’s inevitable. I have two brothers, I know the sort of idiocy that happens when they get around each other. It’s like a rite of passage or something. Is it crazy to already worry about the damage he will do to himself when he’s not even walking yet? Maybe. But just the fact that I know it’s coming is enough to make me want to run to the doctor and ask for some happy pills as a prophylactic measure.

The worst time of day is when I lay down to go to sleep. After I’ve obsessively checked B to make sure he’s breathing (I think he’s breathing but let me get closer just to make sure. Wait, I can’t hear over my own breathing. OK, stop breathing for a second. OK, he’s definitely breathing.) and touch his arm to make sure he doesn’t feel cold (Should I put a blanket on him? What if he gets himself wrapped up like a burrito and can’t breathe?? What if the pajamas I put on him weren’t warm enough? What if he’s too hot?) I get into bed and have some kind of awful thought. Every night. Something like, B runs into the street and gets hit by a car. Then I’m lying there with my eyes wide open like I’m in some cheesy horror flick and some rendition of the following conversation ensues:

Irrational Me: Oh my God, what if that happens? That could totally happen.
Rational Me: Yes, but the chances of it happening are small. You just have to teach him to be safe and watch him carefully while he’s still young.
Irrational Me: Yes but I can’t be with him all the time.
Rational Me: Billions of people get through the day without seriously hurting themselves. Even the not-so-bright ones.
Irrational Me: Okay, you’ve got a point there.

And it doesn’t help that I read sad stories constantly about parents who’ve lost a child. The most recent one was in Good Housekeeping. (Yes, I skip over Cosmo and Glamour at the grocery store and buy Good Housekeeping instead. Shut up.) It was about a little girl (I think she was about two years old) who had third degree burns over 60% of her body. While she was in the hospital recovering she was on pain medication, became severely dehydrated and ultimately died as a result. Well holy @#$*! Please let me never have to know that kind of pain.

I think this anxiety is normal. That it’s just a natural part of being a parent and that eventually the fears dwindle. But I suspect that the fears will always be there, only the ones I have now will be replaced by different ones as B gets older and more independent. But really, isn’t this the kind of stuff that people should tell you when you’re pregnant? This is useful information, no?


Brendan will be 15 months old in two days!



3 comments:

Jenifer said...

Im right there with you. I have the most insane fears everyday about Ian. And my son is 10 months old today.

There is the time in which we had just installed his Britax carseat. THere is a left over strap that is too long that he likes to play with. I looked in the mirror one day while on the freeway and saw that he had it in his mouth. Now the rational version of myself was like, dude, he likes to play with it and thats totally fine. And then I saw him stick it in his mouth! The insane part of me was thinking oh my god, how fast can I pull over on the freeway? Wait, can I pull over on the freeway for this? Are there weirdo chemicals on it? Is he ok to be eating the strap? How do I stop him while driving this car? I think I even called my husband (in a normal tone and not completely freaked out) and asked if I should stop the car and make him stop eating it or what I should do.

My completely chill husband told me it was fine, no there were not weird chemicals on the strap and he was fine eating it. Am I nuts?! Im such a paranoid mother. Actually that is now my new moniker. My husband tells me this atleast weekly. Jenifer, stop being a paranoid mother Ian is fine. And I smile and I know that he is in fact fine and that my husband is right I am just a paranoid mother...you are not alone.

Stilts said...

LOL. Paranoid is my middle name these days. Good to know that I'm not alone. :)

Anonymous said...

Just for some reassurance that you surely do not need, and yes I just called you Shirley.

You are an amazing Mommy. You love and care for your beautiful son and are doing a terrific job. You and Kenny both should be proud of Brendan's first 15 months, and I am very excited to see his next 50 years.

I know it is normal for you to feel panicky and such, but just know that whether or not you are paranoid, scared, or just a little nutty, I have tons of faith, love, and certainty that you are a Momma to be proud of.

Scott